Pages

Why I Basically Disappeared Off the Face of the Internet

Monday, June 6, 2016



I've been gone for the past few months. It's been a crazy few months, y'all.

It started with this:



First came the severe, debilitating pain radiating up my legs, as though my bones were aching. My lymph nodes bulged beneath my skin. When the aching left, it was replaced by joint pain so severe that it took me twice as long to do...anything, really. Every joint in my body hurt- ankles, knees, shoulders, elbows. My hands hurt so much that it took both of them to lift kettles, turn knobs, shift gears. Sometimes I would wake up in the night from the pain. Getting out of bed was a challenge, because my body had frozen itself into whatever position I fell asleep in and stayed that way for hours. 

Then my left ankle began to swell.

It's called peripheral edema. It usually shows up in people who are experiencing congestive heart failure. I'm far, far too young for that, so I knew something was going horribly wrong with my body. It can show up in other conditions too, none of which I had. The only one that fit was "systemic illness".

I went to the doctor a few times. They first tested me for Lyme's, but that came back negative- and it shouldn't have, since by that point I'd been having symptoms for weeks. I was put on different types of therapy to no avail. In the end, I was treated for Lyme's despite being negative. 21 days of doxycycline later, and I was finally free of all the strange symptoms I'd been having. Most importantly, I was finally ready to get back to my hobbies.

It's hard to take pictures or do much blogging when every movement hurts. That was my initial reason for not posting.

Then, right around when I was getting better, a close family member went into the hospital. They had emergency heart surgery. It was pretty terrifying for a while, and of course I dropped everything to be with them. To preserve their privacy, I'm not going to elaborate further, except to say that they are doing excellently now and I hope they will do so for years to come.

By now we're in May. I'd been taking a class while all of this was going on, so once my illness and my family's illness was sorted, it was time to turn my attention to finals (I got a 110%, if anyone is wondering. #slay). 

Oh! Also my Macbook Pro went into kernel panic when I downloaded El Capitan. So I had to reinstall the OS and lost... well, not everything important, because I back up those files to the cloud, but quite a lot of stuff. It was pretty discouraging.

These past few weeks I've been working mostly on my novel. I'm moving Sylvanlight to the back burner for now (don't worry, I'm not giving up on it completely- I love it and the characters to much to do so) and giving my extra time and attention to a new-ish project that I'll call Project Beta. My goal is to get it out to agents on submission by the end of the year and I'm still in the first draft- so in between my work and my classes, I'm spending pretty much all of my extra time working on that.

I don't intend to abandon my blog- hell no- but I will be dialing down the focus a little less in the coming months. It doesn't help that I'm having a sort of identity crisis with it... but that's a post for another time.

How has the first half of 2016 been treating you?

No comments:

Post a Comment