Pages

On Shoveling Snow

Monday, January 25, 2016

There is a quiet world of soft white outside my window right now. The snow is falling fast, making the next street over seem like it's lost in mist. And while it's quite pretty indeed, there is something discouraging in the view.

I've gone out 3 times in the last 2 days to shovel snow, and yet it's building back up, as though I'd never even tried in the first place.

See, the plan was this: if I went out every once in a while and shoveled, well, then it would be better than having to do it all in one go, right? I'm not sure what the totals are right now for my area, but I'm betting I've lost the office bet (my guess: 8"). From where I sit, I can see my car parked at the end of the driveway. It looks almost completely covered. Again.

~


That's where I feel I'm at in life right now. I have so many different plans for what I want to do in the next couple of years. But right now, they all seem so far away, and the work I do towards them feels small and pitiful. It all seems rather pointless, so why not just give up?

This is the part where the shoveling comes in.

This year, I decided to try something different when the snow falls. Previously, I'd waited until the snow finished and then dressed myself against the cold as best I could, trudged outside, and spent maybe 2 hours shoveling enough snow out of the way to free my car. However, I wondered whether it might be easier to do it in batches, rather than all in one go?

So far, it's been a bit depressing. I try and I try, and nothing really seems to happen. I continue to try in the hope that it will be worth it in the end, but what if it isn't?

~

I'm writing this final part on the other side of the snow storm. The street outside the house I'm staying at is not well treated. When I drive into work later today, I hope I don't run into any issues.

I finished my last bit of shoveling yesterday. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't 2 hours of work either. I finished it in about 30 minutes. My area had a grand total of 18 inches.

Was it worth it? I think so. I'm glad I put the effort in to do the extra bits of work, even when it seemed a bit hopeless. And so I'll continue to put the extra bits of work into my other projects, and hope that at the end of it all, I was glad I put the work in for those, too. 

After all, the effort is the only part we can control, and I'd rather do my best than not do anything at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment