Pages

Fright Night Friday: Only Lovers Left Alive

Friday, October 2, 2015

For the month of October, I thought it would be fun to watch and review movies with some kind of horror element. These won't be straight horror, although I enjoy that genre too! This is more artsy, pretty moving pictures of people- type movies. These posts will assume that either you've already seen the movies, or you don't mind spoilers. They're just my thoughts on the films and are really more like discussion posts.



Our first offering this month is Only Lovers Left Alive, which I LOVE.

"Only Lovers Left Alive is a 2013 British-German vampire film written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, and starring Tom Hiddleston, Tilda Swinton, Mia Wasikowska, John Hurt, and Jeffrey Wright. The film was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival." - From Wikipedia

Trailer:



Some thoughts on the film:

  • So I knew going into this movie that it was not going to be some action packed horror. I expected it to be kind of slow and artsy. It fully met those expectations. But I quite enjoyed it! The style of the cinematography was very dreamlike and it gave me a languid feeling
  • How adorably emo hot was Hiddles? So hot. A lesser actor might have been tempted to give into the ANGST of it all, but Tom never devolved into Hot Topic territory. The sheer charisma of Hiddles was enough to overcome what had the potential to be a very unlikeable character. He played Adam with a finesse you don't see many actors display. He was truly masterful and it was a pleasure to watch him.
  • SWINTON was... I can't. Tom may have been the brooding bad boy of our dreams, but Tilda was on another level. She was luminous, ethereal, enchanting... she was like something from another realm of existence. I have to confess a terrible secret: I liked her, but never saw her in enough movies to truly love her. But after this movie I'm in complete and utter love with her. She had an ageless quality to her that is quite necessary in a vampire. Tom is quite possibly the only actor who could have truly stood up against her, so I'm glad they cast him, because otherwise the film ran the risk of being swept away by the sheer force of her presence.
  • I loved the nighttime driving sequences, especially the ones in Detroit. When I lived in the city and felt restless at night, I would get in my car and drive, just drive, for hours until the restlessness faded away. The scenes of Adam and Eve driving in the car reminded me very much of this. I loved the way it was shot, and how the scenes of the driving were echoed in other sequences as well. These combined with the music gave the film a mesmerizing feel.
  • The music! I loved how trance like the music was. The lute gave the whole film this really ageless feel. Jozef van Wissem's compositions really made a lot of the movie, and I plan to buy much more of his music.
  • I loved how the movie celebrates music and literature. It's very clear that without either of these things the characters would not have the joy that they do.
  • If I had to pick a favorite sequence, it would be the one at the very beginning, where the night sky turns into star lines turns into a record player. I loved how the association of eternity with music was visually conveyed.
  • Anton Yelchin! My god, if I didn't know that was him I never would have guessed. He was exactly like guys I've met in real life. He too was a treasure. I was heartbroken when his character died, because I wanted him to stay in the film and become a vampire.
  • Mia Wasikowska also did an amazing job. Her Ava was beautifully believable.
  • Really, all of the actors in this film were stunning. A++++ casting, would cast again.
  • This is a film I feel I will return to again and again.

Have you seen this movie? What did you think?






 Parts of this post were originally published on my Livejournal.

No comments:

Post a Comment