Pages

Fright Night Friday: A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Friday, October 9, 2015


"In the Iranian ghost-town Bad City, a place that reeks of death and loneliness, the townspeople are unaware they are being stalked by a lonesome vampire."- from IMDb.

Trailer:



CAUTION: HERE BE SPOILERS!

  • So I knew pretty much nothing going into this. I knew it was some kind of vampire western, there were skateboards, it was Iranian, it's supposed to be good????
  • If you're looking for horror, this won't be it. This is more of a meditation on loneliness and coping with the inherent meaninglessness of life. 
  • Arash is a cutie, I mean dang. Boy is too pretty for my own good.
  • I love, love, love how the chador is interpreted in this film. The image of The Girl wandering the streets in her chador is so immediately iconic. 
  • I was expecting this to be all about the exploits of the girl, so I was surprised when Arash was presented as a main character as well. 
  • I had somehow missed the part where this movie is also a romance, so when Arash and The Girl met I was completely blown away at how badly I wanted them to be together. I don't usually find romances to be very interesting, so the fact that I was so immediately invested in their relationship took me by surprise. I don't think I would have felt so strongly if we hadn't spent the first half of the movie following both characters before their paths crossed.
  • When Arash gives The Girl a hug because she's cold I immediately started flailing around in my bed. THESE LIL' BABES! THEY ARE TOO CUTE! I was instantly swept away.
  • The movie definitely picks up a certain spark once the two main characters interact. Don't get me wrong, it's intriguing beforehand too, but the two actors definitely have chemistry together that makes the second half more interesting in some ways than the first.
  • I really loved the way Sheila Vand played the scene of her and Arash in her room, and she's standing right in front of him and tilting his head back. For the longest time you can't decide if she's going to go for his throat or a hug, and the way Sheila plays the character conveys this character's indecision on the same matter. I loved the depth her performance brought to that moment.
  • This movie is definitely the perfect follow-up to Only Lovers Left Alive. If you love one, you should absolutely check out the other. They are both the types of movies that reward repeat viewings, especially when analyzing the style.

What did you like about the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment