Pages

Fright Night Friday: Byzantium

Friday, October 16, 2015



"Residents of a coastal town learn, with deathly consequences, the secret shared by the two mysterious women who have sought shelter at a local resort." - from IMDb

Trailer:


WARNING: HERE BE SPOILERS!


  • I really only picked this movie because it was a vampire movie I hadn't seen and it starred my babes Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton
  • I'd gotten the impression somehow that this movie wasn't very good, but I ended up really liking it!
  • The only trailers I could find did not sell this movie very well. They made it seem like it was some vampire action film and it's not; it's more slow and atmospheric. I'm guessing that's why many people don't like it.
  • Pretty sure this movie passes the Bechdel test. 
  • I liked the vaguely feminist backstory behind the characters' predicament. I wasn't expecting that and it added to my enjoyment of the movie
  • Sam Riley is such a babe, I mean JEEZE! I wasn't planning on seeing Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but I guess I'm going to rethink that
  • Gemma Arterton is such a babe, I mean JEEZE! Why isn't she in everything? She was such a badass in this movie.
  • I feel like Clara is such an intriguing character that she should have her own movie. I really admired her character's grit. I was happy that her and Darvell walk off into the sunset together, because by the end I was really feeling it. 
  • Eleanor is such a teenager in this, but that makes sense when your character is eternally 16. Which, by the way, if you had to be immortal forever, wouldn't it be horrible to be a teenager for eternity? I think about being stuck as my teenage self forever and recoil in disgust.
  • This movie had lots of gorgeous imagery, but there are a few images that stuck with me the most are.
  • 1) when the camera is watching poor dejected Frank walking away down the promenade as Eleanor, Clara, and Noel wander off in the opposite direction. I really liked how that shot was composed, that you can see Frank continuing to walk away while the scene plays out.
  • 2) the red waterfalls, when you see them for the first time. When I saw the trailer for it I thought it was going to be just fountains of blood and grossness, but it's actually quite beautiful, and seeing Gemma playing in them was lovely
  • 3) when Saoirse meets herself in the cave for the first time
  • speaking of the cave, I really loved this origin story for vampires. It was a fresh take on their mythology, and how often do you get that?
  • Caleb Landry Jones surprised me in this. I'd first seen him in Antiviral, and I guess I was expecting him to display the same behavior in this, so when he started showing emotions I was thrown for a bit of a loop
  • Frank and Eleanor were so adorable and I wasn't expecting to ship it but here we are

Did you see the film? Tell me what you think!

P. S. Crimson Peak comes out today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment