Pages

Sunday Night Cinema: It Follows

Sunday, August 16, 2015


You guys.

I saw so many good movies this weekend!

First it started off on Friday with It Follows, which I'll get into more in a moment. Then I watched Oculus on Saturday, and finished up Sunday with Akira, which... wow. I might have to devote other posts to Oculus and Akira, I really liked them both so much. Akira a bit more than Oculus but hey. It's a classic for a reason.

Okay, so. It Follows.

It might be a bit of a surprise, considering the content and aesthetic of this blog, but I actually have a pretty strong Goth side to me. I was always too much of a pansy in high school to watch straight up horror movies, but I did read darker fantasy and speculative fiction, which of course paved the way for my eventual slide into horror. Lately I've really been feeling this genre and I feel like I can't get enough of it, for some reason?

Anyway, I saw It Follows on Friday night and I loved it. It's not necessarily the kind of movie that induces jump scares or screaming, but it's fairly tense and is the kind of movie that stays with you. The next day, I could not stop thinking about it. 

If you aren't familiar with the movie, then behold! A trailer! I picked the one I liked best.




Please note that the following is full of SPOILERS. So read at your own risk.

  • I really liked the opening scene; I felt that was an effective way to set the tone of the movie.
  • The shot of the car where it all goes down was stunning. 
  • Actually most of this movie was stunningly shot. I really liked the aesthetic choices they made.
  • I loved the scenes of driving whenever they're in a car
  • The part with the wheelchair was well executed. 
  • My favorite poem ever is in this!!!!!!! 
  • What is Yara's compact thing supposed to be? A smart flip phone?
  • Speaking of Yara, while the actress did a good job, I was wondering why she and Paul couldn't be PoC? The whole movie was very white and it takes place in Detroit.
  • I liked how none of the characters shamed Jay for having sex.
  • I'm still undecided on whether this is an allegory for STIs, or fear of intimacy, or...?
  • I also liked how very little time was spent on the whole "You're making this up, Spooky Mulder!" Everyone accepts this is real and tries to formulate a plan to fight it.
  • Speaking of plans, what the heck was with that plan with the pool? I feel like that could have been executed better?
  • Greg's scene was so sad. 
  • there are so many shots that just stick with you. The hand and the flowers, the wheelchair, the car, the opening beach scene, the park... I could go on, but you get the idea
  • This movie is one of the few pieces of media that has rape in it where including that didn't ruin it for me. I'm still not sure why. I'll have to think about this more. 
  • I liked the ambiguity of the ending. Did she give it to Paul? Or those men? I like to believe it's the men.
Overall, I really liked this movie and I can't wait to watch it again. This movie is not without its triggering bits, however. Trigger warning for: rape, STI, sexual violence. 

4 comments:

  1. Definitely do a post on Akira, when I was in Sixth Form my film studies teacher always used to mention it but I never got a chance to watch it. I would like to hear your thoughts on the movie. Also just to let you know I have nominated you for the Liebster Award :) All of the information about it is in my most recent post, I hope you take part.

    www.shanaliexo.blogspot.co.uk

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will! There's just so much to say about it. It's weird, metaphysical, unexpected...

      Oh my gosh, thank you so much! That's so nice of you. I will definitely participate. <3

      Delete
  2. I nominated you for a liebster award!

    http://rosesandramblings1.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/liebster-award.html

    Have a lovely day xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, you nominating me absolutely made it lovely! <3 Thank you!

      Delete