Pages

Skincare Saturday: Paula's Choice C15 Super Booster

Saturday, May 16, 2015




Friend: "So I heard this band on Spotify that I think you'd like."
Me: "Yeah?"
Friend: "They're called MisterWives!"
Me: "Ok."
Days pass in which I don't listen to them.
Friend: "Have you listened to MisterWives yet?"
Me: "No."
Friend: "Have you looked up MisterWives yet?"
Me: "No."
Friend: "Have you-"
Me: "No."
Friend: "THIS WILL NOT STAND!"

Then they sat me down and made me listen to them and now I am in love. 

~



I've been using this serum for months now but I'm honestly still ambivalent about it. When I first started using it, I got a really nice glow-y look to my face. I'd be constantly staring at my skin in any handy reflective surface (mirrors, windows, my phone screen) and just be like "Dang I look good!"




Well, I must be doing something wrong now, because that glow doesn't really appear anymore. I'm wondering if maybe I'm putting it somewhere in my routine that affects its pH level? A while back I adopted that Korean skincare routine that was making the rounds on all the skincare blogs. While I've since fallen away from that a little bit, I have been able to adapt it for my own routine (which I'll post about soon!). This was put a bit later in my routine than it had been previously so I think I'll do a bit of research into the pH levels and see about tweaking my routine.






The actual serum itself is very clear, at least initially; after a few months it will turn a yellow color and the darker the yellow, the less effective it is. It comes in a box with the bottle and the dropper packaged separately. The mouth of the bottle is actually pretty effective in keeping the product from getting all over the place and keeping a lot of the air out.






The Stats:

  • skin is normal-to-oily
  • prone to hormonal acne
  • so pale that I put #ffffff to shame
The Pros:
  • amazing skin when used properly
  • fragrance-free!
  • easy to apply
  • probably the best-formulated vitamin C serum on the market. No extra gimmicks thrown in, just L-ascorbic acid, ferulic acid, and vitamin e.
  • the design of the bottle is pretty neat! Orange and white, very eye catching
The Cons:
  • It's $48.00 I mean REALLY?
  • because it's fragrance-free that means there's nothing to mask the smell of the serum. A lot of people have complained about this, but I don't think it's that bad? To me it smells like bacon, which is a little off-putting.
  • makes my face feel sticky afterwards
  • sometimes I'll scratch my jawline or the skin near my ear and I'll come away with dried yellow gunk which is this serum. Am I applying too much? Possibly. But why the dried yellow gunk?
  • the bottle is kinda see-through, and Paula Begoun is forever going on about how bottles for antioxidants like vitamin c need to be opaque. Why then the see-through bottle? 

You see why I'm ambivalent? The pros and the cons all cancel each other out. One major con that I didn't mention is that if you leave for work and forget to screw the top back on? You can kiss that vitamin c effectiveness goodbye. However, this is more a fault of me and not the serum so I don't think it's a true con, as it's not the product's fault that its owner is kind of an airhead.

I'm not going to be purchasing this for a couple of months as I recently got a bottle of the Ole Henriksen serum to try out, so we'll see how this compares to that. If you want to try purchasing at least a sample of this (for $9.00 ahahaha right) you can use my new customer referral link here for $10.00 off your order (with a minimum purchase of $15.00) (which also nets me a $10.00 credit).


~

I'm finally sitting down and editing the video from my DC adventure last month and oh my god I'd forgotten how much I love editing video. I'm supposed to be editing my novel this weekend but now that has a contender so I'll just let them duke it out and we'll see who wins. I'm not sure when the video will be up, but hopefully it'll be before next Saturday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment