Pages

Fashion Friday Five: UV Protective Clothing

Friday, May 29, 2015

Guess how excited I am that this week's Fashion Friday can also be a Friday Five? Really fricken excited, is the answer. The Alliteration Train ain't stopping any time soon! Resign yourself.

I've always been super conscious of needing to stay out of the sun. Ever since I was a teenager, I'd wear long pants and a hoodie year round, even during summer. Once I got out of my goth phase, though, I found myself becoming increasingly unhappy as I sweltered in the Virginia heat.

A couple of years ago I got a Coolibar shirt for Christmas and ever since then I've been stalking the brand's website. Mine is black, has long sleeves and a hood, yet it's very lightweight and I rarely feel overheated when wearing it. The brand is all about sun-safe protective clothing, which means that their stuff is made to be worn in hot weather, which is pretty nifty!

What's less exciting is that an awful lot of the choices seem to be geared towards older white people who had a mole scare and now want to have something to keep them safe during their Saturday morning golfing excursions. Still, there are a few athletic pieces that would look pretty cute for a post-workout coffeehouse run. I chose a couple of these, as well as a few other things that I would use on a continuous basis.

Behold the selection! Links to the items are at the end of the post.


UV Protective Clothing

UV Protective Clothing by felicitykevans featuring umbrellas








1. ZnO Cowl Neck Pullover- I love everything this chooses to be. It looks comfortable, is cute, has a hood (even more sun protection!), and also covers your hands! This is great, in case you forget to apply sunscreen to them.

2. ZnO Sporty Beach Pants- These look just like workout pants but also have added sun protection. If, like me, you make the regrettable sartorial choice to live in yoga pants every day, then this is for you.

3. Cooltect Gloves- I know, it seems kinda weird to have gloves, right? Here's the thing: your hands will age really easily. Even if you put sunscreen on them, it'll come off whenever you wash your hands, so unless you keep sunscreen on you at all times (which I do, but that's a whole different blog post) it's kind of pointless. I'd keep these in my car, because by far the most sun exposure occurs when I'm driving. Here's a terrifying fact: the skin on the left side of your body ages more/has a higher chance of cancer than the skin on your right side due to the fact that it's more exposed to the sun during driving. My problem with these gloves is that they're kinda dorky. I bet they could be made to be cuter! Regardless, they'd get the job done, so into the car they go.

4. 48" Titanium Fashion Umbrella- like all other overeducated white girls, I had an obsession with Victorian England when I was younger. This still manifests itself in my life in numerous odd ways, and one of those ways is the fact that I'm hell bent on having a nice little parasol collection. My main issue with this offering from Coolibar is that it's kinda...bland? I like the sleekness of it, but the only color it comes in is silver. While I love the Asian UPF parasols that have numerous ruffles and other cute things, I understand the Western market is probably less welcoming of that sort of style, so I get why they stick with a basic umbrella design. But surely we could have a few more colors?

5. Baby Sun Blanket- literally the perfect thing for any situation. Wearing a dress? Toss it over your knees! Need a shawl? Use this! I would also store this in my car with the gloves because it seems like it could be so handy. 


That's the wishlist for now! When I'm actually able to purchase these items I'll write about them too. Can't wait to get my hands on that hoodie...


~

I was able to get one of the Sephora Sun Safety kits this year and was all geared up to do a post about it. But I'd been dying to try the Josie Maran sunscreen, so I had to pull that out first and take it with me to work so I could test it out for a couple of days. And then it fell out of my bag and shattered all over the pavement, along with my hopes and dreams. So now the plan is to review the samples in their own individual thing, or maybe as a series? I haven't decided yet. Anyway, that's also coming up! Right after I get my skin cleared up...

~




Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment