Pages

Skincare Saturday: PC Skin Balancing Antioxidant Serum

Saturday, April 4, 2015



Janelle Monae released this collab just a few days ago and it's so different from her usual but I kind of love it? She's the kind of artist where I'd buy whatever she puts out because she's mad talented.



Paula's Choice is a skincare brand I've loved since I was first learning the ways of skincare. To be totally hipster about it, I was a fan back when r/skincareaddiction was but a twinkle in the eye of a redditor, back before pretty much anyone cared about the brand at all. I came across her book Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me and fell in love with her science-based approach to skincare. Now, I always take her reviews of her own products with a grain of salt, because she's obviously wayyyy too biased there, but I appreciate the lengths she went to in a time before the internet as it is today. It was much more difficult then.



I've been familiar with the brand for years and it's great to see how lately they've stepped up their game. Case in point: my recent purchase of a sample of her antioxidant serum for oily/combo skin. Back in the dark ages I got the Resist antioxidant serum which I think has since become the dry skin one? Or maybe it was always the dry skin one? In which case why would I buy that, I almost never have dry skin? Who knows? The point is, I bought it and was decidedly not impressed with it at the time. It was very thick, hard to apply, and took forever to sink in. Eventually I tossed it.

Due to this experience I didn't exactly pay attention when other versions of the serum came out, so I have no clue how long I've been sleeping on this product, but I tried it and compared to the previous one I'm very impressed!



PC's Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum is a light, clear gel. It's not scented (yay!) and it absorbs crazy fast. I took these pictures before and after rubbing it in and then maybe a minute or so later it was gone. It didn't stick around like the Resist serum, which is what I expected it to do.

Now, the week I tried this out for was also a week of hormonal acne for me, so I can't say for sure whether this triggered any breakouts or not. I will say that it felt nice going on? Like I've said before, I use tretinoin, so it's hard to really judge just how much "renewal" a product is doing when you're getting that kind of cellular turnover on a regular basis. However, I'm going to finish up this tube at least. I'm ambivalent as to whether or not I'll buy a full size product but I'll definitely order another sample with my next PC purchase!

Verdict: willing to keep using for the time being, not sure if this will become a skincare staple.

If you would like to purchase, you can use my referral link here for $10 off your order (which also nets me $10 off my next order so we both win here!)

Ingredients list:
Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Isododecane (matte finish solvent), Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (non-aqueous thickener), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A/antioxidant), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (thickener), Retinol (antioxidant/cell-communicating ingredient), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Haematococcus Pluvialis (Astaxanthin) Extract (antioxidant pigment), Bisabolol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidants/anti-irritants), Salix Alba (Willow) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Ginkgo Biloba (Ginkgo) Leaf Extract, Calluna Vulgaris (Heather) Flower Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Betula Alba (White Birch) Bark Extract (antioxidants), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (antioxidant plant oil), Silica (absorbent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

No comments:

Post a Comment